As those familiar with his Booth debut, I Been Runnin’, are already aware, Johnny Polygon has absolutely no interest in setting a good example for the young and impressionable. If the newly-released That’s You is any indication, though, the Tulsa-bred rapper makes up in honesty what he lacks in, well, a few other virtues. Over a minimal, percussion-driven instrumental by Picnic Tyme, Polygon proclaims, “I’m real ‘bout what I do and even more what I don’t,” and proceeds to back that up with a few surprising admissions (he couldn’t care less about fashion, he didn’t drink till he was 22), and some excellent advice for any kids who might be listening: in regard to peer pressure, “If it ain’t your idea, then you’ll probably get caught.” Though the sparse beat and hook might not be everyone’s cup of tea, you have to admit that, lyrically, JP’s as real as they come. That’s You is set for inclusion on the forthcoming Wolf in Cheap Clothing mixtape, and fans can also look forward to Polygon’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series.
Written by richard on 03/31/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Been Runnin'" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.