As those familiar with his Booth debut, I Been Runnin’, are already aware, Johnny Polygon has absolutely no interest in setting a good example for the young and impressionable. If the newly-released That’s You is any indication, though, the Tulsa-bred rapper makes up in honesty what he lacks in, well, a few other virtues. Over a minimal, percussion-driven instrumental by Picnic Tyme, Polygon proclaims, “I’m real ‘bout what I do and even more what I don’t,” and proceeds to back that up with a few surprising admissions (he couldn’t care less about fashion, he didn’t drink till he was 22), and some excellent advice for any kids who might be listening: in regard to peer pressure, “If it ain’t your idea, then you’ll probably get caught.” Though the sparse beat and hook might not be everyone’s cup of tea, you have to admit that, lyrically, JP’s as real as they come. That’s You is set for inclusion on the forthcoming Wolf in Cheap Clothing mixtape, and fans can also look forward to Polygon’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series.
Written by richard on 03/31/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Been Runnin'" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.