As those familiar with his Booth debut, I Been Runnin’, are already aware, Johnny Polygon has absolutely no interest in setting a good example for the young and impressionable. If the newly-released That’s You is any indication, though, the Tulsa-bred rapper makes up in honesty what he lacks in, well, a few other virtues. Over a minimal, percussion-driven instrumental by Picnic Tyme, Polygon proclaims, “I’m real ‘bout what I do and even more what I don’t,” and proceeds to back that up with a few surprising admissions (he couldn’t care less about fashion, he didn’t drink till he was 22), and some excellent advice for any kids who might be listening: in regard to peer pressure, “If it ain’t your idea, then you’ll probably get caught.” Though the sparse beat and hook might not be everyone’s cup of tea, you have to admit that, lyrically, JP’s as real as they come. That’s You is set for inclusion on the forthcoming Wolf in Cheap Clothing mixtape, and fans can also look forward to Polygon’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series.
Listen to More: Johnny Polygon
Written by richard on 03/31/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Been Runnin'" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.