When your last name is an obscure geometric shape you can’t just get by with the same old, same old, and sure enough Johnny Polygon has never been one to hold back from experimentation. Need an example? How about new release rapcom, which finds the DNA of Polygon’s raps combined with Capcom’s classic arcade game Street Fighter. (Get it?) On the boards the headliner and Joel Buikema manage to put together a beat that’s obviously video game influenced without going overboard, sprinkling in some very a propos samples while the bass knocks. On the mic both Polygon and collaborator Gabriel Royal take care to keep their rhymes both aggressive and, well, kind of weird: “No cocaine, I blow my own mind, no Cobain.” Fans eager for more impossible to categorize music can keep an eye out for Polygon’s profanely titled Pu**y Gun album, which is still awaiting an official release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/3/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Been Runnin'" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.