When your last name is an obscure geometric shape you can’t just get by with the same old, same old, and sure enough Johnny Polygon has never been one to hold back from experimentation. Need an example? How about new release rapcom, which finds the DNA of Polygon’s raps combined with Capcom’s classic arcade game Street Fighter. (Get it?) On the boards the headliner and Joel Buikema manage to put together a beat that’s obviously video game influenced without going overboard, sprinkling in some very a propos samples while the bass knocks. On the mic both Polygon and collaborator Gabriel Royal take care to keep their rhymes both aggressive and, well, kind of weird: “No cocaine, I blow my own mind, no Cobain.” Fans eager for more impossible to categorize music can keep an eye out for Polygon’s profanely titled Pu**y Gun album, which is still awaiting an official release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/3/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Been Runnin'" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.