Ironic detachment may be a hallmark of Johnny Polygon‘s musical persona, but don’t let the Oklahoma rapper’s world-weary tone fool you into thinking he doesn’t care about his craft. Au contraire—it’s just that, after grinding long and hard to get that Get Right, he feels he deserves a little respect. Knowing our readership will appreciate both his hard work and his dry lyrical style, Polygon personally sent us the first leak off his forthcoming mixtape. Making its world premiere in the Booth, this cut finds the emcee flowing over a sparse, synth-driven beat by Picnic Tyme. Polygon’s sardonic wit is as sharp as ever as he takes aim at a few of his minimum wage-earning homeboys/girls, and he could hardly have found a better partner-in-rhyme than NYC femcee Amanda Diva—the collaborators’ blasé banter midway through is a highlight. Those who like what they’re hearing can find can find Get Right and much more on Johnny Polygon’s ...And Then There’s Me mixtape, due out late this month.
Written by richard on 08/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Been Runnin'" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.