Ironic detachment may be a hallmark of Johnny Polygon‘s musical persona, but don’t let the Oklahoma rapper’s world-weary tone fool you into thinking he doesn’t care about his craft. Au contraire—it’s just that, after grinding long and hard to get that Get Right, he feels he deserves a little respect. Knowing our readership will appreciate both his hard work and his dry lyrical style, Polygon personally sent us the first leak off his forthcoming mixtape. Making its world premiere in the Booth, this cut finds the emcee flowing over a sparse, synth-driven beat by Picnic Tyme. Polygon’s sardonic wit is as sharp as ever as he takes aim at a few of his minimum wage-earning homeboys/girls, and he could hardly have found a better partner-in-rhyme than NYC femcee Amanda Diva—the collaborators’ blasé banter midway through is a highlight. Those who like what they’re hearing can find can find Get Right and much more on Johnny Polygon’s ...And Then There’s Me mixtape, due out late this month.
Written by richard on 08/11/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Been Runnin'" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.