Ironic detachment may be a hallmark of Johnny Polygon‘s musical persona, but don’t let the Oklahoma rapper’s world-weary tone fool you into thinking he doesn’t care about his craft. Au contraire—it’s just that, after grinding long and hard to get that Get Right, he feels he deserves a little respect. Knowing our readership will appreciate both his hard work and his dry lyrical style, Polygon personally sent us the first leak off his forthcoming mixtape. Making its world premiere in the Booth, this cut finds the emcee flowing over a sparse, synth-driven beat by Picnic Tyme. Polygon’s sardonic wit is as sharp as ever as he takes aim at a few of his minimum wage-earning homeboys/girls, and he could hardly have found a better partner-in-rhyme than NYC femcee Amanda Diva—the collaborators’ blasé banter midway through is a highlight. Those who like what they’re hearing can find can find Get Right and much more on Johnny Polygon’s ...And Then There’s Me mixtape, due out late this month.
Written by richard on 08/11/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Been Runnin'" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.