Johnny Polygon‘s a hard emcee to pin down, but one thing’s for certain: there’s something about him that keeps listeners coming back for more. His last feature, That’s You, saw him mixing blunt sexual humor with world-weary pearls of wisdom like an aloof, extremely crass Buddha, and this new record, a bonus track off his forthcoming Group Hug EP, finds him taking an equally irreverent yet insightful look at what is, for better or worse, our society’s main yardstick for success: money. Day Dreamin’ over a woozy, sampled instrumental by Oklahoma, he observes that, if there’s a God up there, he must really, really like millionaires, segueing into some intriguingly abstract philosophical musings on his second verse. Stay tuned for more of Johnny P.‘s deep thoughts on Group Hug, dropping May 12th, as well as his contribution to our DJBooth.net Freestyle Series, also coming next month.
Written by richard on 04/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Been Runnin'" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.