On his first DJBooth feature, John West informed us that that, unlike many of his peers, he doesn’t feel compelled to strive after ever-increasing levels of material success in order to achieve happiness… as long as he’s surrounded by good friends and doing what he loves, he’s Already There. Of course, those aren’t all the blessings on the man’s plate; as the singer/emcee reveals on new promo single Nobody, he’s also lucky enough to be in a relationship with the woman of his dreams. Whereas his debut saw him rapping as well as singing, this record finds West in full-on soul man mode, serenading his girl over producer U4L‘s delicate ivory-tinkling, liquid bassline and glimmering tremelo guitar flourishes. In the process, he reveals that her love is the true source of his Buddha-like contentment: “You can have the money, you can have the cars, you could have you could have it all / ‘Cause to me it means nothing without you.” Has this romantic jam left you starstruck? If so, keep it locked; John West plans to release his debut album, The Humble Hustle, late summer.
Written by richard on 05/17/12
Submit your Rating
Mercury/Island Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Already There" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.