For many rappers on the come-up, climbing to the apex of the game and accumulating massive stacks of paper is an ideal to be striven for with every fiber of one’s being. If you ask Booth newcomer John West, though, he’s Already There—the simple pleasures of kicking it with his loved ones and pursuing his dreams keep him in high spirits, and the humble size of his bankroll doesn’t stop him from feeling like a million bucks. On this newly-released promo single, the Mercury/Island Def Jam signee shares his attitude of gratitude with the world. Backed by Brian Kennedy‘s sunny, string-laced boardwork, the artist drops verses packed with witty and allusive motivational rhymes (“We revolutionaries standing on the front line / We taking Giant Steps, John Coltrane.”) as well as contributing an infectious hook. Big Sean guests, offering a characteristically high-rolling spin on West’s optimistic message in his braggadocious closing verse. Has the West Coast buzzmaker succeeded in lifting your spirits with this anthemic cut? Stay tuned—while West has yet to announce details on his major label debut, you can count on The DJBooth to keep you supplied with all the latest.
Written by richard on 11/13/11
Submit your Rating
Mercury/Island Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.