For many rappers on the come-up, climbing to the apex of the game and accumulating massive stacks of paper is an ideal to be striven for with every fiber of one’s being. If you ask Booth newcomer John West, though, he’s Already There—the simple pleasures of kicking it with his loved ones and pursuing his dreams keep him in high spirits, and the humble size of his bankroll doesn’t stop him from feeling like a million bucks. On this newly-released promo single, the Mercury/Island Def Jam signee shares his attitude of gratitude with the world. Backed by Brian Kennedy‘s sunny, string-laced boardwork, the artist drops verses packed with witty and allusive motivational rhymes (“We revolutionaries standing on the front line / We taking Giant Steps, John Coltrane.”) as well as contributing an infectious hook. Big Sean guests, offering a characteristically high-rolling spin on West’s optimistic message in his braggadocious closing verse. Has the West Coast buzzmaker succeeded in lifting your spirits with this anthemic cut? Stay tuned—while West has yet to announce details on his major label debut, you can count on The DJBooth to keep you supplied with all the latest.
Written by richard on 11/13/11
Submit your Rating
Mercury/Island Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.