Considering Yesterday has literally been covered more times than any song in history, it isn’t surprising that John Regan, the Baltimore emcee who impressed us with his DJBooth debut Paint the World, has chosen to use The Beatles classic…wait, what’s that? Producer YZ didn’t use the original Yesterday at all in crafting his melancholy, piano driven and eventually explosive beat? Fair enough, but whether intentional or not, Regan’s record does share a sense of longing and regret with McCartney’s version, especially with vocalist Meylin providing some soaring, rock-tinged vocals on the hook. Impressively, John paints a vivid lyrical picture of a hard lived life on his verse, touching on his thoughts of suicide and a non-existent relationship with his father, with Slaughterhouse alum Joell Ortiz (yaowa!) backing him up with yet another impressive guest verse. Like B.o.B.’s Airplanes, this one has rap/rock crossover hit written all over it to me. If he keeps releasing music like this, the buzz surrounding Regan’s upcoming project, Sorry I’m Late, should be more than significant when it drops
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Paint the World" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.