Don’t let the title mislead you – John Public‘s first Booth feature is not so much about kicks as it is about… well, pretty much everything else. As a matter of fact, Sneaker Music is as thorough an introduction to the Jersey City emcee as listeners could ask for. In a wistful, conversational flow, the up-and-comer explains his motivations for making music, what he hopes to accomplish in the game, and just how determined he is to transform his dreams into reality. “Inside drillin’, outside rain or shine, buildin’ to set an example for my children…” Backed by the nostalgia-drenched boardwork of Goodwill Beats, who flip a dusty soul sample into a sunny, head-nodding secondhand groove, this retro-informed jam is sure to put smiles on the faces of our resident old souls – and anyone else who prefers their hip-hop with a little vintage flavor. If you fall into that category, you won’t want to miss John Public’s John Said: NahMean street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net March 3.
Written by richard on 02/21/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Freedom People" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.