Don’t let the title mislead you – John Public‘s first Booth feature is not so much about kicks as it is about… well, pretty much everything else. As a matter of fact, Sneaker Music is as thorough an introduction to the Jersey City emcee as listeners could ask for. In a wistful, conversational flow, the up-and-comer explains his motivations for making music, what he hopes to accomplish in the game, and just how determined he is to transform his dreams into reality. “Inside drillin’, outside rain or shine, buildin’ to set an example for my children…” Backed by the nostalgia-drenched boardwork of Goodwill Beats, who flip a dusty soul sample into a sunny, head-nodding secondhand groove, this retro-informed jam is sure to put smiles on the faces of our resident old souls – and anyone else who prefers their hip-hop with a little vintage flavor. If you fall into that category, you won’t want to miss John Public’s John Said: NahMean street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net March 3.
Listen to More: John Public
Written by richard on 02/21/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Freedom People" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)