We all know John Public is frugal, but just how frugal is he? Not only does the Jersey City buzzmaker rock a thrift-store wardrobe, but he forgoes pricey off-the-shelf time in favor of lightly-used Second-Hand Minutes. How is reusing a minute even possible? I have no clue – you’ll have to ask him. Moving right along, the latest world premiere off the freestyle series alum‘s forthcoming street album sees Public hooking up with a familiar face from the DMV. Over Diamond District rapper/producer Oddisee‘s street-ready piano-loop boardwork, the emcee delivers a lyrical snapshot of the city life; though the pace is ever-accelerating, he remains determined to “fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds’ worth of distance hustled” (to paraphrase Rudyard Kipling). Rising R&B star Mike Maven delivers the coup de grace, summing it all up on the nose-to-the-grindstone hook: “Time is on your side, you know you got it – use it.” Digging this motivational head-nodder? Then I have a feeling that Public’s Booth-sponsored Regifted: The Thrift Shop Experience (due out Dec. 13) will be well worth your time.
Written by richard on 12/9/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sneaker Music" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.