We all know John Public is frugal, but just how frugal is he? Not only does the Jersey City buzzmaker rock a thrift-store wardrobe, but he forgoes pricey off-the-shelf time in favor of lightly-used Second-Hand Minutes. How is reusing a minute even possible? I have no clue – you’ll have to ask him. Moving right along, the latest world premiere off the freestyle series alum‘s forthcoming street album sees Public hooking up with a familiar face from the DMV. Over Diamond District rapper/producer Oddisee‘s street-ready piano-loop boardwork, the emcee delivers a lyrical snapshot of the city life; though the pace is ever-accelerating, he remains determined to “fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds’ worth of distance hustled” (to paraphrase Rudyard Kipling). Rising R&B star Mike Maven delivers the coup de grace, summing it all up on the nose-to-the-grindstone hook: “Time is on your side, you know you got it – use it.” Digging this motivational head-nodder? Then I have a feeling that Public’s Booth-sponsored Regifted: The Thrift Shop Experience (due out Dec. 13) will be well worth your time.
Written by richard on 12/9/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sneaker Music" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.