We all know John Public is frugal, but just how frugal is he? Not only does the Jersey City buzzmaker rock a thrift-store wardrobe, but he forgoes pricey off-the-shelf time in favor of lightly-used Second-Hand Minutes. How is reusing a minute even possible? I have no clue – you’ll have to ask him. Moving right along, the latest world premiere off the freestyle series alum‘s forthcoming street album sees Public hooking up with a familiar face from the DMV. Over Diamond District rapper/producer Oddisee‘s street-ready piano-loop boardwork, the emcee delivers a lyrical snapshot of the city life; though the pace is ever-accelerating, he remains determined to “fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds’ worth of distance hustled” (to paraphrase Rudyard Kipling). Rising R&B star Mike Maven delivers the coup de grace, summing it all up on the nose-to-the-grindstone hook: “Time is on your side, you know you got it – use it.” Digging this motivational head-nodder? Then I have a feeling that Public’s Booth-sponsored Regifted: The Thrift Shop Experience (due out Dec. 13) will be well worth your time.
Written by richard on 12/9/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sneaker Music" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.