We all know John Public is frugal, but just how frugal is he? Not only does the Jersey City buzzmaker rock a thrift-store wardrobe, but he forgoes pricey off-the-shelf time in favor of lightly-used Second-Hand Minutes. How is reusing a minute even possible? I have no clue – you’ll have to ask him. Moving right along, the latest world premiere off the freestyle series alum‘s forthcoming street album sees Public hooking up with a familiar face from the DMV. Over Diamond District rapper/producer Oddisee‘s street-ready piano-loop boardwork, the emcee delivers a lyrical snapshot of the city life; though the pace is ever-accelerating, he remains determined to “fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds’ worth of distance hustled” (to paraphrase Rudyard Kipling). Rising R&B star Mike Maven delivers the coup de grace, summing it all up on the nose-to-the-grindstone hook: “Time is on your side, you know you got it – use it.” Digging this motivational head-nodder? Then I have a feeling that Public’s Booth-sponsored Regifted: The Thrift Shop Experience (due out Dec. 13) will be well worth your time.
Written by richard on 12/9/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sneaker Music" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.