As the stage name suggests, Jersey native John Public is all about giving voice to the unsung (and un-rapped) masses. Fresh off speaking truth to power on a Veteran’s Day revamp of Freedom People, the freestyle series alum is back to wax populistic once again on his latest offering, Untitled Life (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!). Public himself handles both production and mic duties, but not without a little help from his (numerous) friends. Live band The Mercy Project, led by Jon Notar, serve up some organically funky grooves as the headliner delivers easily-relatable reflections on the struggle to make ends meet. Gritty and down-to-Earth as the emcee’s account of city life may be, the record’s overall effect is uplifting – of course, it’s hard not to sound uplifting when you’ve got an entire gospel choir (in this case, Jersey’s own Jubilation) backing you up. Those feeling this inspirationally dope joint can find plenty more will this came from on Public’s forthcoming, Booth-sponsored Re-Gifted: Thrift Shop Experience mixtape, set to hit our front page Dec. 13.
Written by richard on 12/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sneaker Music" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.