As the stage name suggests, Jersey native John Public is all about giving voice to the unsung (and un-rapped) masses. Fresh off speaking truth to power on a Veteran’s Day revamp of Freedom People, the freestyle series alum is back to wax populistic once again on his latest offering, Untitled Life (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!). Public himself handles both production and mic duties, but not without a little help from his (numerous) friends. Live band The Mercy Project, led by Jon Notar, serve up some organically funky grooves as the headliner delivers easily-relatable reflections on the struggle to make ends meet. Gritty and down-to-Earth as the emcee’s account of city life may be, the record’s overall effect is uplifting – of course, it’s hard not to sound uplifting when you’ve got an entire gospel choir (in this case, Jersey’s own Jubilation) backing you up. Those feeling this inspirationally dope joint can find plenty more will this came from on Public’s forthcoming, Booth-sponsored Re-Gifted: Thrift Shop Experience mixtape, set to hit our front page Dec. 13.
Written by richard on 12/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sneaker Music" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.