November 11, aka Veterans Day, is a time to celebrate those who served, and in many cases sacrificed their lives to keep the U.S. safe. While we’re honoring the troops, though, it’s important to remember that patriotism is as much about promoting socioeconomic justice as it is about military exploits. Making its world premiere here in the Booth, John Public‘s latest offering couldn’t be a more timely reminder. This updated version of Freedom People, a cut previously featured back in March, finds the Jersey native (and freestyle series alum) trading D Jay Cas’ funk samples for a muscular, guitar-driven beat by 6th Sense, who laces the record with snippets from FDR’s historic speech, “The Four Freedoms.” Though Public tones down his delivery to match the darker production, his words hit home just as powerfully as before – particularly impactful is his call for the government to “Invest a trillion in the people, books, schools.” Those digging the latest version of this populist banger can hear more on his Booth-sponsored Re-Gifted: The Thrift Shop Experience mixtape, set to hit our front page Dec. 7.
Written by richard on 11/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sneaker Music" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.