November 11, aka Veterans Day, is a time to celebrate those who served, and in many cases sacrificed their lives to keep the U.S. safe. While we’re honoring the troops, though, it’s important to remember that patriotism is as much about promoting socioeconomic justice as it is about military exploits. Making its world premiere here in the Booth, John Public‘s latest offering couldn’t be a more timely reminder. This updated version of Freedom People, a cut previously featured back in March, finds the Jersey native (and freestyle series alum) trading D Jay Cas’ funk samples for a muscular, guitar-driven beat by 6th Sense, who laces the record with snippets from FDR’s historic speech, “The Four Freedoms.” Though Public tones down his delivery to match the darker production, his words hit home just as powerfully as before – particularly impactful is his call for the government to “Invest a trillion in the people, books, schools.” Those digging the latest version of this populist banger can hear more on his Booth-sponsored Re-Gifted: The Thrift Shop Experience mixtape, set to hit our front page Dec. 7.
Written by richard on 11/11/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sneaker Music" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.