November 11, aka Veterans Day, is a time to celebrate those who served, and in many cases sacrificed their lives to keep the U.S. safe. While we’re honoring the troops, though, it’s important to remember that patriotism is as much about promoting socioeconomic justice as it is about military exploits. Making its world premiere here in the Booth, John Public‘s latest offering couldn’t be a more timely reminder. This updated version of Freedom People, a cut previously featured back in March, finds the Jersey native (and freestyle series alum) trading D Jay Cas’ funk samples for a muscular, guitar-driven beat by 6th Sense, who laces the record with snippets from FDR’s historic speech, “The Four Freedoms.” Though Public tones down his delivery to match the darker production, his words hit home just as powerfully as before – particularly impactful is his call for the government to “Invest a trillion in the people, books, schools.” Those digging the latest version of this populist banger can hear more on his Booth-sponsored Re-Gifted: The Thrift Shop Experience mixtape, set to hit our front page Dec. 7.
Written by richard on 11/11/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sneaker Music" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.