Despite the excitement surrounding the upcoming Tarantino flick, along with Ricky Rozay and producer Jamie Foxx’ star power, Django Unchained lead single 100 Black Coffins failed to wow listeners in the Booth. (One reader’s reaction was, and I quote, “Blaaaaah.”) An inauspicious beginning, to be sure, but there’s no better cure for a flop lead single than a killer follow-up, and unless my ears deceive me, John Legend‘s contribution to the soundtrack seems to fit that description. A throwback soul banger with a bloodthirsty twist, Who Did That to You? finds the G.O.O.D. Music soul man drawing inspiration from the film’s vigilante-justice theme over Paul Epworth‘s bluesy sample work. Has Legend succeeded in chasing away the ‘blah’s with this finger-snapping selection? As always, you get to lay down the final verdict. If you’re feeling it, you’ll be able to cop the Django Unchained soundtrack on Tuesday, December 18, in anticipation of the flick’s December 25, theatrical release.
Written by richard on 12/7/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.