Despite the excitement surrounding the upcoming Tarantino flick, along with Ricky Rozay and producer Jamie Foxx’ star power, Django Unchained lead single 100 Black Coffins failed to wow listeners in the Booth. (One reader’s reaction was, and I quote, “Blaaaaah.”) An inauspicious beginning, to be sure, but there’s no better cure for a flop lead single than a killer follow-up, and unless my ears deceive me, John Legend‘s contribution to the soundtrack seems to fit that description. A throwback soul banger with a bloodthirsty twist, Who Did That to You? finds the G.O.O.D. Music soul man drawing inspiration from the film’s vigilante-justice theme over Paul Epworth‘s bluesy sample work. Has Legend succeeded in chasing away the ‘blah’s with this finger-snapping selection? As always, you get to lay down the final verdict. If you’re feeling it, you’ll be able to cop the Django Unchained soundtrack on Tuesday, December 18, in anticipation of the flick’s December 25, theatrical release.
Written by richard on 12/7/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.