This is Sunday morning music. The individual sounds of artists like Common, Melanie Fiona, John Legend, and The Roots are as smooth and refreshing as a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. But the combination of all four on Wake Up is an even more special treat, kind of like a follow-up mocha latte with whipped cream. The latest single off of John Legend’s joint project with the Roots (and a cover of Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes’ classic Wake Up Everybody), this title song is an uplifting call for change from some of the most notable names in urban music. Melanie Fiona is admirable in her attempt to ask those who wish change upon the world, to make it. And Common’s guest verse is nothing short of spectacular as the vet finds his lyrical comfort zone, tackling one of his favorite topics like a football rivalry. Add all this in with the fact that the Roots created an instrumental that grooves like the ‘70s and I think they and Mr. Legend (whose excellent vocals really anchor this track) have easily topped that horrific We Are the World remix. Expect more inspiration when their collabo album Wake Up! drops September 21.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 07/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grammy Family" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.