A Brooklyn mainstay whose songwriting, production and rhymes appeared prominently on a little album called The Score, first-time featuree John Forté is by no means new to the game but, after spending much of the 2000s behind bars on drug charges, the artist has got a little lost time to make up for. Luckily, Forté has just the thing to get heads’ attention in anticipation of his first full-length in over a decade; namely, lead single Gone. “Lyrical” doesn’t even begin to describe this joint, which finds the headliner’s own subtle, bluesy production (complete with hook vocals by singer/songwriter Sass Jordan) setting the stage for a veritable buffet of thought-provoking rhymes. After pushing listeners to unplug the TV and think for themselves on the front, Forté cedes the mic to his equally astute collaborators – Duo Live‘s HD Fre, B.K. vet Talib Kweli, and NYC underground mainstay AZ lace the record with (respectively) gruff abstraction, subversive street philosophy, and hard-hitting social commentary. Does this brooding jam leave you craving more? Then keep it locked for the latest on water light sound, set to hit record store shelves “soon.”
Written by richard on 11/1/10
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.