With groups like the A$AP Mob and Pro.Era, it’s safe to say that hip-hop collectives are alive and well. Perhaps the most promising group around, however, is Chicago’s Savemoney crew. I thought I knew all they had to offer with artists like Chance The Rapper and Kids These Days, but then from out of nowhere comes yet another talented member, Tokyo Shawn. On World Turning, Shawn links up with fellow Savemoney-ers Joey Purp and Caleb James. His more finessed, flexible flow kicks off the effort and has an “opposites attract” relationship with Purp’s more forceful style. Both emcees sound right at home over James’ shadowy, minimalist flip of Erykah Badu‘s On & On. There is no word on whether this record is part of something larger, but expect more from this promising collective very soon.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/23/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.