With groups like the A$AP Mob and Pro.Era, it’s safe to say that hip-hop collectives are alive and well. Perhaps the most promising group around, however, is Chicago’s Savemoney crew. I thought I knew all they had to offer with artists like Chance The Rapper and Kids These Days, but then from out of nowhere comes yet another talented member, Tokyo Shawn. On World Turning, Shawn links up with fellow Savemoney-ers Joey Purp and Caleb James. His more finessed, flexible flow kicks off the effort and has an “opposites attract” relationship with Purp’s more forceful style. Both emcees sound right at home over James’ shadowy, minimalist flip of Erykah Badu‘s On & On. There is no word on whether this record is part of something larger, but expect more from this promising collective very soon.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/23/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.