Showcasing an agile, brainy lyrical style over beats that sound like they hopped a time machine from the 1990s, Joey BadA$$ is unique among hip-hop’s current freshman class. That Unorthodox style, of course, is exactly why he’s one of the most buzzed-about artists in today’s game (and the Booth staff pick for Best New Indie Artist of 2012). On his first single via Mountain Dew’s Green Label Sound imprint, the Pro.Era standard-bearer continues to carve out his niche, delivering complex and self-confident verses over a piano-laced boom-bap groove by the one and only DJ Premier. This joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can check out the track’s official visuals at greenlabelsound.com.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Joey’s Coodie & Chike-directed Unorthodox visuals.
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Survival Tactics" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.