Showcasing an agile, brainy lyrical style over beats that sound like they hopped a time machine from the 1990s, Joey BadA$$ is unique among hip-hop’s current freshman class. That Unorthodox style, of course, is exactly why he’s one of the most buzzed-about artists in today’s game (and the Booth staff pick for Best New Indie Artist of 2012). On his first single via Mountain Dew’s Green Label Sound imprint, the Pro.Era standard-bearer continues to carve out his niche, delivering complex and self-confident verses over a piano-laced boom-bap groove by the one and only DJ Premier. This joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can check out the track’s official visuals at greenlabelsound.com.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Joey’s Coodie & Chike-directed Unorthodox visuals.
Written by richard on 03/7/13
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Survival Tactics" (2012)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.