Showcasing an agile, brainy lyrical style over beats that sound like they hopped a time machine from the 1990s, Joey BadA$$ is unique among hip-hop’s current freshman class. That Unorthodox style, of course, is exactly why he’s one of the most buzzed-about artists in today’s game (and the Booth staff pick for Best New Indie Artist of 2012). On his first single via Mountain Dew’s Green Label Sound imprint, the Pro.Era standard-bearer continues to carve out his niche, delivering complex and self-confident verses over a piano-laced boom-bap groove by the one and only DJ Premier. This joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can check out the track’s official visuals at greenlabelsound.com.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Joey’s Coodie & Chike-directed Unorthodox visuals.
Written by richard on 03/7/13
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Survival Tactics" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)