Showcasing an agile, brainy lyrical style over beats that sound like they hopped a time machine from the 1990s, Joey BadA$$ is unique among hip-hop’s current freshman class. That Unorthodox style, of course, is exactly why he’s one of the most buzzed-about artists in today’s game (and the Booth staff pick for Best New Indie Artist of 2012). On his first single via Mountain Dew’s Green Label Sound imprint, the Pro.Era standard-bearer continues to carve out his niche, delivering complex and self-confident verses over a piano-laced boom-bap groove by the one and only DJ Premier. This joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can check out the track’s official visuals at greenlabelsound.com.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Joey’s Coodie & Chike-directed Unorthodox visuals.
Written by richard on 03/7/13
Submit your Rating
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Survival Tactics" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.