In his classic The Origin of Species, Charles Darwin laid down the law of natural selection: “In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment.” Needless to say, with America’s inner-city streets feeling more and more like the jungle with every passing day, we could all stand a refresher course on Survival Tactics. Enter 17-year-old rhymesayer (and new Cinematic signee) Joey BADA$$, who fills us in on how he’s learned to survive and thrive in his environment on the latest single/video off his forthcoming full-length. Vin Skully‘s eerily familiar samples (Anyone I.D. the source for me?) set the mood as the B.K. repper chronicles his quest to stay alive and get paid in cynical, yet playful verses. As a street survivor, of course, he knows not to roll solo - Capital STEEZ, a fellow member of the Pro.Era movement, contributes some radical rhetoric of his own to the record’s back end. For more hot beats and lyrical flames, check out BADA$$’ 1999 LP when it hits online retailers late next month.
Written by richard on 02/27/12
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.