Although Joell Ortiz is widely considered one of the most underrated MCs around, Ortiz’s lyrical skill hasn’t translate into success in today’s mainstream scene. Learning that the hard way, Interscope head Jimmy Iovine has delayed the promotion of Joell’s major label debut until the Latino rapper sells out with a gimmicky track. Fortunately, Ortiz knows how to make lemonade with the lemons he’s been given and uses the opportunity to rap about his life’s previous Ups & Downs. Guest feature Ming adds a woman’s touch with her smooth hook, and producer Static Selektah‘s beat screams instant classic. Ups and Downs will probably never get played on the radio, but Joell knows what he wants and will settle for nothing less.
Listen to More: Joell Ortiz
Written by Burmy on 01/9/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.