Although Joell Ortiz is widely considered one of the most underrated MCs around, Ortiz’s lyrical skill hasn’t translate into success in today’s mainstream scene. Learning that the hard way, Interscope head Jimmy Iovine has delayed the promotion of Joell’s major label debut until the Latino rapper sells out with a gimmicky track. Fortunately, Ortiz knows how to make lemonade with the lemons he’s been given and uses the opportunity to rap about his life’s previous Ups & Downs. Guest feature Ming adds a woman’s touch with her smooth hook, and producer Static Selektah‘s beat screams instant classic. Ups and Downs will probably never get played on the radio, but Joell knows what he wants and will settle for nothing less.
Written by Burmy on 01/9/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.