Although Joell Ortiz is widely considered one of the most underrated MCs around, Ortiz’s lyrical skill hasn’t translate into success in today’s mainstream scene. Learning that the hard way, Interscope head Jimmy Iovine has delayed the promotion of Joell’s major label debut until the Latino rapper sells out with a gimmicky track. Fortunately, Ortiz knows how to make lemonade with the lemons he’s been given and uses the opportunity to rap about his life’s previous Ups & Downs. Guest feature Ming adds a woman’s touch with her smooth hook, and producer Static Selektah‘s beat screams instant classic. Ups and Downs will probably never get played on the radio, but Joell knows what he wants and will settle for nothing less.
Listen to More: Joell Ortiz
Written by Burmy on 01/9/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)