Don’t look now, but I’m pretty sure that Joell Ortiz has not so quietly become one of the best underground rappers in the game (see his work with Slaughterhouse, Defying the Predictable, etc., etc.). And by underground I mean that the general public doesn’t yet know his name, a situation that will assuredly soon change if he keeps putting out tracks like Project Boy. Produced by the legendary DJ Premier – hence the booming bass and turntable cuts – Project Boy is Ortiz at his most vicious as the Brooklyn heavyweight paints a gritty picture of a place that shows its residents no mercy: “Somebody close get shotty smoked until they melon is red / in the streets my name hold weight like elephant legs.” Damn. I won’t even bother with the obligatory “what do you think” question. If you’re not feeling this track, we’re not on the same planet. For Project Boy and much more dopeness lookout for Ortiz’ upcoming album Free Agent, set to drop soon.
Listen to More: Joell Ortiz
Written by Nathan S. on 03/31/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)