Don’t look now, but I’m pretty sure that Joell Ortiz has not so quietly become one of the best underground rappers in the game (see his work with Slaughterhouse, Defying the Predictable, etc., etc.). And by underground I mean that the general public doesn’t yet know his name, a situation that will assuredly soon change if he keeps putting out tracks like Project Boy. Produced by the legendary DJ Premier – hence the booming bass and turntable cuts – Project Boy is Ortiz at his most vicious as the Brooklyn heavyweight paints a gritty picture of a place that shows its residents no mercy: “Somebody close get shotty smoked until they melon is red / in the streets my name hold weight like elephant legs.” Damn. I won’t even bother with the obligatory “what do you think” question. If you’re not feeling this track, we’re not on the same planet. For Project Boy and much more dopeness lookout for Ortiz’ upcoming album Free Agent, set to drop soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/31/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.