Don’t look now, but I’m pretty sure that Joell Ortiz has not so quietly become one of the best underground rappers in the game (see his work with Slaughterhouse, Defying the Predictable, etc., etc.). And by underground I mean that the general public doesn’t yet know his name, a situation that will assuredly soon change if he keeps putting out tracks like Project Boy. Produced by the legendary DJ Premier – hence the booming bass and turntable cuts – Project Boy is Ortiz at his most vicious as the Brooklyn heavyweight paints a gritty picture of a place that shows its residents no mercy: “Somebody close get shotty smoked until they melon is red / in the streets my name hold weight like elephant legs.” Damn. I won’t even bother with the obligatory “what do you think” question. If you’re not feeling this track, we’re not on the same planet. For Project Boy and much more dopeness lookout for Ortiz’ upcoming album Free Agent, set to drop soon.
Listen to More: Joell Ortiz
Written by Nathan S. on 03/31/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.