Don’t look now, but I’m pretty sure that Joell Ortiz has not so quietly become one of the best underground rappers in the game (see his work with Slaughterhouse, Defying the Predictable, etc., etc.). And by underground I mean that the general public doesn’t yet know his name, a situation that will assuredly soon change if he keeps putting out tracks like Project Boy. Produced by the legendary DJ Premier – hence the booming bass and turntable cuts – Project Boy is Ortiz at his most vicious as the Brooklyn heavyweight paints a gritty picture of a place that shows its residents no mercy: “Somebody close get shotty smoked until they melon is red / in the streets my name hold weight like elephant legs.” Damn. I won’t even bother with the obligatory “what do you think” question. If you’re not feeling this track, we’re not on the same planet. For Project Boy and much more dopeness lookout for Ortiz’ upcoming album Free Agent, set to drop soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/31/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.