Through good times and bad, Joell Ortiz has always come through with the kind of tunes that make listeners go “Ooh” – whether it’s the pleasantly surprised “Ooh!” a junk food fiend makes upon noticing there’s still one more Twinkie in the box, the drawn-out “Ooooooh” emitted by a third-grade class who just heard a dirty word or, as in the case of this newly-leaked album cut, the deflated “Ooh” of a hater who’s realized his target is simply too fly to care about his criticisms. Here, the pounding piano chords and chopped vocalizations of beatsmith Large Professor set a street-ready mood as Ortiz reminds us that he’s still driven, hungry and ready to attack his doubters head-on: “Every word I recite get the town (bacon/bakin’), I’m not your average feast / I can’t stomach y’all – make my abs get weak.” Singer Iffy handles guest duties, contributing a hook considerably less debatable than his stage name would suggest. Like what you’re hearing? While Ortiz’ recent release from E1 has made his long-awaited sophomore set’s title all the more appropriate, Free Agent will still be dropping, as scheduled, on November 30.
Written by richard on 11/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.