In case you didn’t know, Joell Ortiz is not that different from you and I. Like Ortiz, if your brain is clouded by the last ten years of hip hop, you might want to recall some of your fondest Memories. No longer signed to Dr. Dre’s Aftermath Records, the newly turned free-agent turns honest over producer Salaam Remi‘s sample-riddled concoction, reminding listeners what it feels like to rip open a brand new album and immediately call all your friends to hype it up. A line from this new single provides proof of the Brooklyn emcee’s inventive wordplay, “if my memories serve me correct losing sucks/ so I’m in it for the gold like Scrooge McDuck” Ortiz’ forthcoming Free Agent mixtape is set to drop this September.
Written by Erica L. on 08/11/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.