Damn—I knew times were tough in the music game, but I hardly thought it’d come to this. Even after achieving heightened success as one-fourth of lyrical supergroup Slaughterhouse, Joell Ortiz is so strapped for cash that he’s taken on a second job pushing green to make ends meet. Or maybe he’s doing it out of love for the hustle. Either way, on a new mixtape leak released via his Twitter last night, the Marijuana Man dons his paper hat, climbs into his van (complete with loudspeakers playing an off-key rendition of La Cucaracha) and hits the streets to peddle some
delicious frozen confections
leafy smokeables to the local youngsters. Backed by the funky, swagger-drenched piano-brass sample work of a currently-unknown beatsmith, Ortiz talks up his wares with the facility of a born salesman: “What kinda smokin’ you tryin’ to do? / Lookin’ for something sweet and smooth? Right this way, I’ll show you the blues.” So, are you buying what Joell’s selling? If so, you can expect plenty more quality joints (pun intended) on solo street album The Life and Times of Sebastian Rios, set to hit the net in the near future.
Written by richard on 06/30/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)