Damn—I knew times were tough in the music game, but I hardly thought it’d come to this. Even after achieving heightened success as one-fourth of lyrical supergroup Slaughterhouse, Joell Ortiz is so strapped for cash that he’s taken on a second job pushing green to make ends meet. Or maybe he’s doing it out of love for the hustle. Either way, on a new mixtape leak released via his Twitter last night, the Marijuana Man dons his paper hat, climbs into his van (complete with loudspeakers playing an off-key rendition of La Cucaracha) and hits the streets to peddle some
delicious frozen confections
leafy smokeables to the local youngsters. Backed by the funky, swagger-drenched piano-brass sample work of a currently-unknown beatsmith, Ortiz talks up his wares with the facility of a born salesman: “What kinda smokin’ you tryin’ to do? / Lookin’ for something sweet and smooth? Right this way, I’ll show you the blues.” So, are you buying what Joell’s selling? If so, you can expect plenty more quality joints (pun intended) on solo street album The Life and Times of Sebastian Rios, set to hit the net in the near future.
Written by richard on 06/30/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.