The YAOWA army is in full effect, gearing up troops to take over the world. The opponent is disbelievers and the ammo is the constant jams that 5 Star General Joell Ortiz keeps pumping out, and we here at DJBooth are enlisting for service starting immediately. The battleground for today’s contest is Joell’s new single, So Hard, set to be released on his upcoming album Free Agent, which will finally see the day of light on February 22. Produced by Frequency, So Hard is an uptempo record with quick piano notes, funky guitar strings and the definitive horns that kick in and hit you in the back of the neck every time one sounds. Aided by the bluesy vocal work of Anna Yvette, Joell spits uplifting lyrics, all while boasting about being better than the “next guy” with his typical blend of lyricism and aggression. With a hook that’s catchy and uplifting, the Slaughterhouse member has added another song to his arsenal that would make any Call of Duty player feel confident in his powers. This isn’t music, this is war.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 01/6/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- How a Music Video Is Made: A Mock Treatment With Rapsody
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.