Recently being granted his requested release from Dr. Dre‘s Aftermath Entertainment (reportedly after refusing to dumb down his lyrics for radio), Brooklyn’s Joell Ortiz is happy to be a free agent right now. Close to what we’ve heard, the Brooklyn native once again takes the listener back to his Cooper Park Projects neighborhood to reflect on all the Good Times experienced; since they tend to be few and far between, we’re left to wonder, in Ortiz’s words, “days like this, why they have to stop?” As Joell’s most-underrated-MC status is maintained on his verses, additional credit should go to producer Drewski, whose sampling of Bobby Darin’s classic When I Get Home provides a smooth, easygoing backdrop. For all those looking for some good old-fashioned quality hip-hop, check for Joell Ortiz’ upcoming sophomore album Free Agent, which will be in stores sooner than you think.
Listen to More: Joell Ortiz
Written by Burmy on 08/3/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.