Recently being granted his requested release from Dr. Dre‘s Aftermath Entertainment (reportedly after refusing to dumb down his lyrics for radio), Brooklyn’s Joell Ortiz is happy to be a free agent right now. Close to what we’ve heard, the Brooklyn native once again takes the listener back to his Cooper Park Projects neighborhood to reflect on all the Good Times experienced; since they tend to be few and far between, we’re left to wonder, in Ortiz’s words, “days like this, why they have to stop?” As Joell’s most-underrated-MC status is maintained on his verses, additional credit should go to producer Drewski, whose sampling of Bobby Darin’s classic When I Get Home provides a smooth, easygoing backdrop. For all those looking for some good old-fashioned quality hip-hop, check for Joell Ortiz’ upcoming sophomore album Free Agent, which will be in stores sooner than you think.
Listen to More: Joell Ortiz Written by Burmy
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.