Recently being granted his requested release from Dr. Dre‘s Aftermath Entertainment (reportedly after refusing to dumb down his lyrics for radio), Brooklyn’s Joell Ortiz is happy to be a free agent right now. Close to what we’ve heard, the Brooklyn native once again takes the listener back to his Cooper Park Projects neighborhood to reflect on all the Good Times experienced; since they tend to be few and far between, we’re left to wonder, in Ortiz’s words, “days like this, why they have to stop?” As Joell’s most-underrated-MC status is maintained on his verses, additional credit should go to producer Drewski, whose sampling of Bobby Darin’s classic When I Get Home provides a smooth, easygoing backdrop. For all those looking for some good old-fashioned quality hip-hop, check for Joell Ortiz’ upcoming sophomore album Free Agent, which will be in stores sooner than you think.
Written by Burmy on 08/3/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.