Recently being granted his requested release from Dr. Dre‘s Aftermath Entertainment (reportedly after refusing to dumb down his lyrics for radio), Brooklyn’s Joell Ortiz is happy to be a free agent right now. Close to what we’ve heard, the Brooklyn native once again takes the listener back to his Cooper Park Projects neighborhood to reflect on all the Good Times experienced; since they tend to be few and far between, we’re left to wonder, in Ortiz’s words, “days like this, why they have to stop?” As Joell’s most-underrated-MC status is maintained on his verses, additional credit should go to producer Drewski, whose sampling of Bobby Darin’s classic When I Get Home provides a smooth, easygoing backdrop. For all those looking for some good old-fashioned quality hip-hop, check for Joell Ortiz’ upcoming sophomore album Free Agent, which will be in stores sooner than you think.
Listen to More: Joell Ortiz
Written by Burmy on 08/3/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.