If you’re still not convinced that Novel is a bona fide jack of all musical trades and styles, take a listen to this new cut off Joell Ortiz’ forthcoming LP, Free Agent. Stand Up was personally delivered to the Booth by the ATL singer/songwriter/emcee/producer, accompanied by the caveat that his production for other artists was far from what fans could expect on his own debut (The Audiobiography, out this June), but the synth-driven instrumental he contributes here, not to mention his soulful hook, easily stand on their own merits. Ortiz’ triumphant verses are equally noteworthy; the Slaughterhouse rapper manages to avoid the ‘motivational record’s biggest pitfall, preachiness, by keeping things sincere, humble, and personal as he describes his climb to the top. Above all, it’s clear that Joell’s enjoying his newfound artistic freedom, a fact that bodes very well for his sophomore studio album (due out this summer).
Written by richard on 04/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.