If you’re still not convinced that Novel is a bona fide jack of all musical trades and styles, take a listen to this new cut off Joell Ortiz’ forthcoming LP, Free Agent. Stand Up was personally delivered to the Booth by the ATL singer/songwriter/emcee/producer, accompanied by the caveat that his production for other artists was far from what fans could expect on his own debut (The Audiobiography, out this June), but the synth-driven instrumental he contributes here, not to mention his soulful hook, easily stand on their own merits. Ortiz’ triumphant verses are equally noteworthy; the Slaughterhouse rapper manages to avoid the ‘motivational record’s biggest pitfall, preachiness, by keeping things sincere, humble, and personal as he describes his climb to the top. Above all, it’s clear that Joell’s enjoying his newfound artistic freedom, a fact that bodes very well for his sophomore studio album (due out this summer).
Written by richard on 04/7/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.