If you’re still not convinced that Novel is a bona fide jack of all musical trades and styles, take a listen to this new cut off Joell Ortiz’ forthcoming LP, Free Agent. Stand Up was personally delivered to the Booth by the ATL singer/songwriter/emcee/producer, accompanied by the caveat that his production for other artists was far from what fans could expect on his own debut (The Audiobiography, out this June), but the synth-driven instrumental he contributes here, not to mention his soulful hook, easily stand on their own merits. Ortiz’ triumphant verses are equally noteworthy; the Slaughterhouse rapper manages to avoid the ‘motivational record’s biggest pitfall, preachiness, by keeping things sincere, humble, and personal as he describes his climb to the top. Above all, it’s clear that Joell’s enjoying his newfound artistic freedom, a fact that bodes very well for his sophomore studio album (due out this summer).
Written by richard on 04/7/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)