With an impressive four-star average reader rating, the original version of Free Agent lead single Call Me most definitely falls into the “if it ain’t broke” category, but listeners shouldn’t begrudge three musicians as talented as Joell Ortiz, Novel, and Statik Selektah the opportunity to bend a few rules – especially when the result is as fresh as this official remix. While Ortiz’ wistfully nostalgic verses are left untouched, Statik gives the track’s production a major overhaul, trading Novel’s soul samples for a chillier blend of old-school beats. Topped off with three slightly-revised hooks from the ATL renaissance man, this revamp will undoubtedly stir up some rousing debate amongst our readers. Have the collaborators succeeded in topping the acclaimed original? Whichever version you prefer, you’ll want to keep it locked for the latest on Ortiz’ sophomore studio album, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 04/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.