Ever since his release from Aftermath/Interscope, Joell Ortiz has worn his “Free Agent” status proudly, both as a sign of self-sufficiency and a call for labels better able to handle him. For now, the Brooklynite is planning to release his sophomore album (also called Free Agent) on E1 Music (formerly known as Koch Records, the label by which he released his critically-acclaimed debut). Though the title of his new single, Bout My Money, might worry longtime fans, Joell explains in the intro that “this is… that recession music right here!” Throw Joell’s aggressive lyricism over Needlz’ brass-synth-organ beat and you have a radio hit without the ‘sellout’ aftertaste. Free Agent (The Album) is set to hit stores and online retailers this summer.
Written by Burmy on 02/18/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.