Ever since his release from Aftermath/Interscope, Joell Ortiz has worn his “Free Agent” status proudly, both as a sign of self-sufficiency and a call for labels better able to handle him. For now, the Brooklynite is planning to release his sophomore album (also called Free Agent) on E1 Music (formerly known as Koch Records, the label by which he released his critically-acclaimed debut). Though the title of his new single, Bout My Money, might worry longtime fans, Joell explains in the intro that “this is… that recession music right here!” Throw Joell’s aggressive lyricism over Needlz’ brass-synth-organ beat and you have a radio hit without the ‘sellout’ aftertaste. Free Agent (The Album) is set to hit stores and online retailers this summer.
Written by Burmy on 02/18/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.