I’ve been called crazy for making this claim before, most recently on Joell Ortiz’ previous feature ‘80s Baby, but for my money, the Brooklyn microphone destroyer is Slaughterhouse’s best emcee. Budden may be deeper, Crooked may be stronger and Royce may be crazier, but no one drops more consistently dope records than Joell. Go ahead, listen to this new leak Battle Cry and tell me I’m wrong. Fueled by a soul sampled beat underlaid by some dark underpinnings courtesy of The Audible Doctor, who clearly has the prescription for what ails hip-hop, Ortiz proceeds to go into his warrior mode and drop almost four straight minutes of artillery rap, flipping lines like “Guess what, that’s who I hang with / so when you speak industry I don’t speak the language / Play a beat and I’ll show you why I’m the head honcho / I’m getting away with murder like the white Bronco” with skill and power. Still don’t agree with me? Perhaps Joell’s upcoming Farewell Summer EP will convince you otherwise when it drops on September 10.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/8/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)