I’ve been called crazy for making this claim before, most recently on Joell Ortiz’ previous feature ‘80s Baby, but for my money, the Brooklyn microphone destroyer is Slaughterhouse’s best emcee. Budden may be deeper, Crooked may be stronger and Royce may be crazier, but no one drops more consistently dope records than Joell. Go ahead, listen to this new leak Battle Cry and tell me I’m wrong. Fueled by a soul sampled beat underlaid by some dark underpinnings courtesy of The Audible Doctor, who clearly has the prescription for what ails hip-hop, Ortiz proceeds to go into his warrior mode and drop almost four straight minutes of artillery rap, flipping lines like “Guess what, that’s who I hang with / so when you speak industry I don’t speak the language / Play a beat and I’ll show you why I’m the head honcho / I’m getting away with murder like the white Bronco” with skill and power. Still don’t agree with me? Perhaps Joell’s upcoming Farewell Summer EP will convince you otherwise when it drops on September 10.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/8/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.