I’ve been called crazy for making this claim before, most recently on Joell Ortiz’ previous feature ‘80s Baby, but for my money, the Brooklyn microphone destroyer is Slaughterhouse’s best emcee. Budden may be deeper, Crooked may be stronger and Royce may be crazier, but no one drops more consistently dope records than Joell. Go ahead, listen to this new leak Battle Cry and tell me I’m wrong. Fueled by a soul sampled beat underlaid by some dark underpinnings courtesy of The Audible Doctor, who clearly has the prescription for what ails hip-hop, Ortiz proceeds to go into his warrior mode and drop almost four straight minutes of artillery rap, flipping lines like “Guess what, that’s who I hang with / so when you speak industry I don’t speak the language / Play a beat and I’ll show you why I’m the head honcho / I’m getting away with murder like the white Bronco” with skill and power. Still don’t agree with me? Perhaps Joell’s upcoming Farewell Summer EP will convince you otherwise when it drops on September 10.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/8/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.