I’ve been called crazy for making this claim before, most recently on Joell Ortiz’ previous feature ‘80s Baby, but for my money, the Brooklyn microphone destroyer is Slaughterhouse’s best emcee. Budden may be deeper, Crooked may be stronger and Royce may be crazier, but no one drops more consistently dope records than Joell. Go ahead, listen to this new leak Battle Cry and tell me I’m wrong. Fueled by a soul sampled beat underlaid by some dark underpinnings courtesy of The Audible Doctor, who clearly has the prescription for what ails hip-hop, Ortiz proceeds to go into his warrior mode and drop almost four straight minutes of artillery rap, flipping lines like “Guess what, that’s who I hang with / so when you speak industry I don’t speak the language / Play a beat and I’ll show you why I’m the head honcho / I’m getting away with murder like the white Bronco” with skill and power. Still don’t agree with me? Perhaps Joell’s upcoming Farewell Summer EP will convince you otherwise when it drops on September 10.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/8/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.