Over the last few months, Joe Budden has been quite busy with interviews. While promoting his past MM3 release and his long-overdue, much-anticipated sophomore album, Padded Room, the Jersey native has been asked by many if “hip hop is dead?” On the newly-leaked track, Who (Pt. 1), Jumpoff Joey reformats the question and provides a detailed response. Dissecting who killed hip-hop and when it occurred, the veteran emcee points the finger at the Reggaeton sensation, the auto-tune takeover, the popularity of snap music, and songs that have spurned dances (amongst a plethora of other, just as important possibilities). Providing the platform for Budden’s State of the Genre address is Portugal producer Blastah Beatz, who reworks Marvin Gaye’s sultry classic, Inner City Blues. Look for Pt. 2 later this week…
Listen to More: Joe Budden Written by DJ Z
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.