If I were a cruder man I would describe Joe Budden’s recent musical output as a hip-hop smocktease, except I’d use a word that rhymes with “smock.” Luckily, I’m far too classy for such low brow terms. Instead, I’ll simply say that, much like Budden’s recent tracks (Downfall, R.I.P., etc.), his latest effort Something to Ride To won’t be on his eagerly anticipated upcoming album The Great Escape, even though it was created alongside Great Escape production partner J. Cardim. Speaking of which, here Cardim crafts a sparse, airy beat that he says is indicative of Great Escape’s sample-free sound. On the mic side of the equation, Budden is as combative and lyrically dope as ever, though most notably Joe spends most of his time paradoxically explaining why the track in fact isn’t something to ride to. So why the title? Got me. For more from the dynamic duo be sure to check out Cardim’s upcoming project, Dice Music Group: The IN Crowd!, due out later this month, and keep it locked for the first official Great Escape single, coming whenever Budden decides to stop teasing us.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/6/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.