If I were a cruder man I would describe Joe Budden’s recent musical output as a hip-hop smocktease, except I’d use a word that rhymes with “smock.” Luckily, I’m far too classy for such low brow terms. Instead, I’ll simply say that, much like Budden’s recent tracks (Downfall, R.I.P., etc.), his latest effort Something to Ride To won’t be on his eagerly anticipated upcoming album The Great Escape, even though it was created alongside Great Escape production partner J. Cardim. Speaking of which, here Cardim crafts a sparse, airy beat that he says is indicative of Great Escape’s sample-free sound. On the mic side of the equation, Budden is as combative and lyrically dope as ever, though most notably Joe spends most of his time paradoxically explaining why the track in fact isn’t something to ride to. So why the title? Got me. For more from the dynamic duo be sure to check out Cardim’s upcoming project, Dice Music Group: The IN Crowd!, due out later this month, and keep it locked for the first official Great Escape single, coming whenever Budden decides to stop teasing us.
Listen to More: Joe Budden
Written by Nathan S. on 06/6/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.