When I was assigned to write about this record today it came with the warning, “I don’t mean to make your Monday more depressing, but….” I laughed, but it proved to be true. Even though Joe Budden is releasing some emotionally charged records for his Mood Musik Mondays series, the latest to drop, Sober Up, has hints of sunshine underneath the drug and alcohol, death and Machiavelli references; that sunshine could be a hellish fire though. Following up to last Monday’s release of Black Cloud, Budden keeps the mood consistently dark and miserable with a side of J. Cardim, whose production gives the beat some bass with a little bit of apocalyptic future. Crooked I, who headlined the DJ Booth showcase at A3C this past weekend, joins in on the funeral of feelings as the featured artist on the track. Honestly, I’m scared of what’s to come next Monday, and even more scared for Mood Muzik 4 to drop on October 26, coincidentally just before Halloween. Is there a Cymbalta-advocacy group that I can share this mixtape with? Crank this one while you’re wandering through that haunted house…that should brighten anyone’s day.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 10/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.