More than a week after Kendrick Lamar lit a fire underneath the rap game’s collective behind with his contribution to Control, response records continue to surface from many of hip-hop’s most prominent lyricists. Following in the footsteps of Lupe Fiasco and Mickey Factz, whose scorching rejoinders each won positive reviews on our pages, Joe Budden contributes his two cents to the debate on promo single Lost Control. While the Slaughterhouse member makes clear early on that he wasn’t personally offended by the Compton phenom’s claims (“This ain’t to Kendrick Lamar, the n**ga Kendrick got bars / I heard his sh*t and wasn’t offended at all.”), that doesn’t stop him from throwing some heavy lyrical punches. Notably, in regard to Kendrick’s controversial “King of New York” line, he states, “You might as well had spit on Biggie’s grave.” Windy City veteran No I.D.‘s original, sampled production provides the backdrop for Budden’s aggressive rhymes. I’ll leave it to y’all to decide how this freestyle stacks up against K Dot’s bars, as well as against Factz and Lupe’s responses. For more from Budden, check out the Jersey mainstay latest full-length, February’s No Love Lost.
Written by richard on 08/19/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.