There are plenty of rappers who I might accuse of simply Going Through the Motions in order to line their pockets, rather than doing it out of love for the game—and a few who’d proudly admit to doing so—but Joe Budden is the last rhymesayer I’d suspect of sleepwalking through his bars. Though the Jersey mainstay’s latest feature, a bonus cut of his Mood Muzik boxed set, finds him taking a harsh and unforgiving look in the mirror, I have a feeling fans won’t begrudge Budden his ostensible failings. For one thing, his rhymes here are as dope and multifaceted as ever; with The Klasix’ bracing instrumental, a hard-edged arrangement accented with raucous vocal samples, the Slaughterhouse emcee takes a moment to put his past, present and future into perspective: “Spent so much time complainin’ about the hand I was dealt, that I damn near forgot how the mansion felt / Forgot what led me here, forgot my history, forgot I was an addict, forgot what that did to me.” This illuminating jam is just one of several bonus cuts included on Joe Budden’s limited edition (Only 100 will be pressed), autographed Mood Muzik boxed set, due out May 15. Click here to pre-order the collection from the artist’s official site.
Listen to More: Joe Budden
Written by richard on 04/18/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)