There are plenty of rappers who I might accuse of simply Going Through the Motions in order to line their pockets, rather than doing it out of love for the game—and a few who’d proudly admit to doing so—but Joe Budden is the last rhymesayer I’d suspect of sleepwalking through his bars. Though the Jersey mainstay’s latest feature, a bonus cut of his Mood Muzik boxed set, finds him taking a harsh and unforgiving look in the mirror, I have a feeling fans won’t begrudge Budden his ostensible failings. For one thing, his rhymes here are as dope and multifaceted as ever; with The Klasix’ bracing instrumental, a hard-edged arrangement accented with raucous vocal samples, the Slaughterhouse emcee takes a moment to put his past, present and future into perspective: “Spent so much time complainin’ about the hand I was dealt, that I damn near forgot how the mansion felt / Forgot what led me here, forgot my history, forgot I was an addict, forgot what that did to me.” This illuminating jam is just one of several bonus cuts included on Joe Budden’s limited edition (Only 100 will be pressed), autographed Mood Muzik boxed set, due out May 15. Click here to pre-order the collection from the artist’s official site.
Listen to More: Joe Budden
Written by richard on 04/18/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.