There are plenty of rappers who I might accuse of simply Going Through the Motions in order to line their pockets, rather than doing it out of love for the game—and a few who’d proudly admit to doing so—but Joe Budden is the last rhymesayer I’d suspect of sleepwalking through his bars. Though the Jersey mainstay’s latest feature, a bonus cut of his Mood Muzik boxed set, finds him taking a harsh and unforgiving look in the mirror, I have a feeling fans won’t begrudge Budden his ostensible failings. For one thing, his rhymes here are as dope and multifaceted as ever; with The Klasix’ bracing instrumental, a hard-edged arrangement accented with raucous vocal samples, the Slaughterhouse emcee takes a moment to put his past, present and future into perspective: “Spent so much time complainin’ about the hand I was dealt, that I damn near forgot how the mansion felt / Forgot what led me here, forgot my history, forgot I was an addict, forgot what that did to me.” This illuminating jam is just one of several bonus cuts included on Joe Budden’s limited edition (Only 100 will be pressed), autographed Mood Muzik boxed set, due out May 15. Click here to pre-order the collection from the artist’s official site.
Listen to More: Joe Budden
Written by richard on 04/18/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.