There are plenty of rappers who I might accuse of simply Going Through the Motions in order to line their pockets, rather than doing it out of love for the game—and a few who’d proudly admit to doing so—but Joe Budden is the last rhymesayer I’d suspect of sleepwalking through his bars. Though the Jersey mainstay’s latest feature, a bonus cut of his Mood Muzik boxed set, finds him taking a harsh and unforgiving look in the mirror, I have a feeling fans won’t begrudge Budden his ostensible failings. For one thing, his rhymes here are as dope and multifaceted as ever; with The Klasix’ bracing instrumental, a hard-edged arrangement accented with raucous vocal samples, the Slaughterhouse emcee takes a moment to put his past, present and future into perspective: “Spent so much time complainin’ about the hand I was dealt, that I damn near forgot how the mansion felt / Forgot what led me here, forgot my history, forgot I was an addict, forgot what that did to me.” This illuminating jam is just one of several bonus cuts included on Joe Budden’s limited edition (Only 100 will be pressed), autographed Mood Muzik boxed set, due out May 15. Click here to pre-order the collection from the artist’s official site.
Written by richard on 04/18/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.