For many rappers, dreams are a positive experience, driving them forward with visions of the fame and fortune that lies in their (potential) future. Step into the psyche of a slumbering Joe Budden, however, and you’ll find no paradise, but rather a dark world in which the Slaughterhouse emcee does battle with his many personal demons. So, it’s pretty much like his music. On new mixtape leak Dreamerz, the Jersey mainstay offers a nocturnal perspective on the much-publicized relationship and breakup he chronicled in his Ordinary Love Sh*t trilogy. Backed by J. Cardim‘s haunting choral-synth instrumental (complete with a bluesy guitar solo), Budden once again puts their romantic quarrels and falling-out under the microscope, ultimately admitting that his emotional issues may have doomed their love from the start: “I’m selfish not selfless, and I say that with love / so in essence you’re asking for what I’m incapable of.” Topped off with the heartbroken hook and bridge vocals of frequent collaborator Emanny, this melancholy banger is just one of many set for inclusion on Mood Music 4.5, set to hit iTunes this Tuesday, May 24.
Written by richard on 05/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.