For many rappers, dreams are a positive experience, driving them forward with visions of the fame and fortune that lies in their (potential) future. Step into the psyche of a slumbering Joe Budden, however, and you’ll find no paradise, but rather a dark world in which the Slaughterhouse emcee does battle with his many personal demons. So, it’s pretty much like his music. On new mixtape leak Dreamerz, the Jersey mainstay offers a nocturnal perspective on the much-publicized relationship and breakup he chronicled in his Ordinary Love Sh*t trilogy. Backed by J. Cardim‘s haunting choral-synth instrumental (complete with a bluesy guitar solo), Budden once again puts their romantic quarrels and falling-out under the microscope, ultimately admitting that his emotional issues may have doomed their love from the start: “I’m selfish not selfless, and I say that with love / so in essence you’re asking for what I’m incapable of.” Topped off with the heartbroken hook and bridge vocals of frequent collaborator Emanny, this melancholy banger is just one of many set for inclusion on Mood Music 4.5, set to hit iTunes this Tuesday, May 24.
Written by richard on 05/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.