Joe Budden’s Mood Muzik mixtape series has always been a personal favorite of mine. From the tortured genius of its second volume, to the raw emotion of the third, the Mood Muzik franchise has shown that hip hop listeners can’t resist hearing Budden’s burdens on wax. Now, with the highly anticipated fourth installment rearing its ugly head, it seems like Joey has taken a leaflet out of Kanye’s “Book of Emo Rap” and started a weekly song series, Mood Muizk Mondays, and the first record off that new series is the aptly-titled Black Cloud. Producers Zalezy and Megaman create a storming beat that perfectly paints the song’s message in dark, brooding, moody and angry colors. Double that with Budden’s lyrical angst (“I’m a different person / with nothing to overcome and I miss the burden”), along with the occasional Jason Williams joke, and you’ll end up drenched in the musical downpour that is Black Cloud. With excellently depressing joints like this, I am sure that fans will ironically be happy to see Mood Muzik 4 finally drop on October 26, digitally and November 9, in stores.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 10/4/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New Jersey Drive ft. Redman" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.