True emcees know that they need to create a triumphant joint that gives consolation to all the underdogs fighting for position. Hard-knock joints like J. NiCS’ Road to Riches is exactly one of those joints. On the second leak from the upcoming album, Champion Rizla, (see previous feature Slumber) the Miami-native prepares new listeners with a natural rhyme style that lyricists all over the country should identify with. In fact, J. NiCS is damn nice, dropping “flows that resemble Pepperidge Farm” and turning Road to Riches into an anthem for concrete-stompers who still want a sweet reminder of something promising. With Numonics securing the production, using light effects and piano to over a soulful loop and bass, a non-traditional sound for most producers out of South Florida, this is one hard knocker that doesn’t need orphan Annie on the hook. For more from NiCS be sure to check out Road to Riches’ video accompaniment, playing right now on DJBoothTV, and give Champion Rizla a home on your iPod February 1, when it lands on our homepage.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 01/24/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.