To paraphrase Howard Beale, underground rapper and first-time featuree Jimmy Powers is mad as hell, and he’s not gonna take it anymore! The targets of the Californian up-and-comer’s ire on this newly-released B-side are, of course, the Classless “new-school cats” who he sees as betraying the very essence of hip-hop. Even if you’re not quite as orthodox as J.P., the passion with which he blazes Mr. Ridley‘s gritty, sampled boardwork (complete with authentic cuts) is undeniable. While its La Coka Nostra member and fellow hardcore head Slaine who steps up to the mic on the front end, Powers closes the proceedings with a sentiment that we all can stand behind: “Hip Hop bein’ dead is as mythical as a minotaur.” Needless to say, listeners can expect nothing but pure, uncut, bubblegum-free underground beats and rhymes on Powers’ latest studio album, Cali-Foreigner, scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers May 4.
Written by richard on 04/5/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.