To paraphrase Howard Beale, underground rapper and first-time featuree Jimmy Powers is mad as hell, and he’s not gonna take it anymore! The targets of the Californian up-and-comer’s ire on this newly-released B-side are, of course, the Classless “new-school cats” who he sees as betraying the very essence of hip-hop. Even if you’re not quite as orthodox as J.P., the passion with which he blazes Mr. Ridley‘s gritty, sampled boardwork (complete with authentic cuts) is undeniable. While its La Coka Nostra member and fellow hardcore head Slaine who steps up to the mic on the front end, Powers closes the proceedings with a sentiment that we all can stand behind: “Hip Hop bein’ dead is as mythical as a minotaur.” Needless to say, listeners can expect nothing but pure, uncut, bubblegum-free underground beats and rhymes on Powers’ latest studio album, Cali-Foreigner, scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers May 4.
Listen to More: Jimmy Powers
Written by richard on 04/5/10
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)