To paraphrase Howard Beale, underground rapper and first-time featuree Jimmy Powers is mad as hell, and he’s not gonna take it anymore! The targets of the Californian up-and-comer’s ire on this newly-released B-side are, of course, the Classless “new-school cats” who he sees as betraying the very essence of hip-hop. Even if you’re not quite as orthodox as J.P., the passion with which he blazes Mr. Ridley‘s gritty, sampled boardwork (complete with authentic cuts) is undeniable. While its La Coka Nostra member and fellow hardcore head Slaine who steps up to the mic on the front end, Powers closes the proceedings with a sentiment that we all can stand behind: “Hip Hop bein’ dead is as mythical as a minotaur.” Needless to say, listeners can expect nothing but pure, uncut, bubblegum-free underground beats and rhymes on Powers’ latest studio album, Cali-Foreigner, scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers May 4.
Listen to More: Jimmy Powers Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!